Following is a list of items commonly included in an eye exam. Other procedures are added as needed in specific situations. For example, if glaucoma is suspected then, in addition to pressure measurement, we test for optic nerve damage with visual fields and optic nerve topography. An expanded description of an eye exam and photographs of testing are included in the section, “Narrated Eye Exam.”
- Determination of Glasses and Contact Lenses Prescription
- A full service Optical Shop is next door.
- Test color vision and depth perception
- Muscle balance and motility
- Eyelid health, Pupil symmetry and reaction
Microscope exam of the front of the eye
- Clarity and health of the Cornea
- Depth of the Anterior Chamber
- Pressure test as part of Glaucoma Testing
Dilated Exam to inspect the inside of the eye
- Optic Nerve Damage
- Retinal health (for example, Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration)
- Visual Fields; for glaucoma, optic nerve or brain damage
- Optic Nerve Topography (HRT)
- Macular Scan (Ocular Coherence Tomography)
- Retinal Photography
- Corneal Thickness by Ultrasound (CCT)
Besides a regular eye exam, the other reason for a visit to the ophthalmologist is to diagnose and treat acute problems. For example:
- Conjunctivitis and other causes of a red, painful eye.
- Corneal Abrasion and corneal ulcer.
- Foreign Body removal. Reduced vision.
- Evaluate new floaters for Retinal Tear or Detachment.
- Evaluate and treat Glaucoma.
- Evaluate vision relating to Cataracts.
- Evaluate and monitor retinal health for Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, Retinal Tears and Detachment.
- Laser Iridotomy for narrow angle Glaucoma.
- Laser Trabeculoplasty for open angle Glaucoma, not controlled by medication.
- YAG Capsulotomy for clouded capsule after cataract surgery.
Next to the office is a full service optical shop with a large selection of frames. Our opticians are experienced, which is especially helpful with unusual prescriptions and progressive lenses. Frame adjustment and some repairs can be done without an appointment.
We are part of PMG. We accept VSP, Medicare, Secure Horizons and various other insurance plans.